Video transcoding includes video decoding and video encoding in two parts, for different video formats, different bit rates or different resolutions of video services interoperability. Transcoding services according to real-time requirements can be divided into online real-time transcoding and offline transcoding.
As the high real-time transcoding on the system computing power and bandwidth requirements are very high, so the current off-line transcoding applications more widely, offline transcoding is now YouKu, Sina and other major video service providers, the main video processing means, The server has been completed, has begun to face the size of the expansion of the engine room area of the problem, as the business continues to expand, the problem will be more prominent, will gradually turn to special acceleration equipment to improve room utilization. The current conservative estimate of the video service providers to participate in offline transcoding equipment, the number of not less than 10 million units. There is considerable potential. The main application scenarios are:
1) Video site offline transcoding. Each video site will receive the video into the site a unified encoding format, such as YouKu, YouTube;
2) Video site multi-resolution video transcoding. Will be hot video transcoding and stored as a different resolution / bit rate of multiple copies, according to the type of terminal and network conditions to select the appropriate copy for transmission, such as 2G, 3G mobile phone users.
3) Offline transcoding cloud service. Allows users to upload the original video, the video is converted to user-specified format, and then available to users to download.
4) Old format video batch to new format (such as TV station reserved for old TV video).
In response to the above requirements, SmarCo developed SmartSys-Media series video accelerator, using independent research and development of special transcoding to speed up the hardware to improve the video transcoding speed to meet the high-definition video transcoding real-time requirements, the maximum support 40 Road H.264 HD video (1080P / 30fps) real-time transcoding. Support the mainstream audio and video encoding format and a variety of network transmission protocol, configuration flexibility, suitable for security monitoring, IPTV, network television and other large-scale implementation of video processing occasions.
Figure 1 real-time transcoding of three-screen fusion
From the above analysis can be seen, transcoding services in the off-line transcoding is Youku, Sohu and other major video service providers, the main video processing means, video traffic increased by the room space constraints increased, the current general calculation The platform will turn to space efficiency and power efficiency of higher dedicated video processing acceleration equipment to improve room utilization. With the popularity of 3G, 4G mobile Internet business, the provinces and regions WIFI hotspot coverage expansion, mobile terminal, PC, TV content sharing is the development trend of video communication, namely "three screen integration (Figure 1)". Because the three kinds of playback terminals on the format, resolution, bit rate and other indicators of the different requirements of real-time transcoding has a strong demand. And in the core of the SmartSys-Media system is able to do three-screen integration of the performance requirements of the server. Without increasing the room space under the premise of a lower power linear expansion of video processing performance, to achieve real-time video processing requirements.
Figure 2 Linear expansion of SmartSys-Media
With the rapid development of China's wireless network, especially with the 3G, 4G mobile Internet business popularity, the provinces and cities WIFI hot coverage expansion, the demand will be far more than offline transcoding; especially the three-screen integration, will make every family, Everyone enjoys this service. So the real-time transcoding software and hardware acceleration system market is immeasurable. Its main applications are:
1) Online video live in real time. Video providers only store high-resolution, high-bit rate video data, according to the client (such as mobile phone) resolution and network bandwidth, dynamic real-time video conversion to low resolution, low bit rate of the stream;
2) IP-Camera for mobile networks. For mobile terminals in 3G / 4G environment, operators need to adjust the video resolution and bit rate in real time according to the wireless network signal bandwidth.
3) Ad insertion. Video providers can dynamically insert ads or notifications in real time in real-time video, or insert real-time ads or notifications in online videos from the Internet.